Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

I went to England, I got more to say Day 4

This was a wonderful, wonderful day. It was Sunday and we wanted to attend the Hyde Park ward before we went about our day. It was so easily accessible. Bham! South Kensington station. Hop off, you are there. I almost got side-tracked by the Victoria and Albert Museum entrance. "No, have to go to church. ...I will do this later...." a little mantra I chanted as I begrudgingly walked on. So, so glad I did. It was a wonderful Stake Conference. I could imagine myself there, sitting in their ranks, introducing myself, trying to make friends. I loved it.

Afterwards, we walked up to the Albert Concert Hall and Albert Memorial. I love my Albert. I got a little choked up as I talked about him with my traveling companion. I snapped some pictures along the way.

This is his hall that he built. It is fashioned to look like the Victoria and Albert Museum. 

 This is me in front of the golden Albert in the background. It is a lovely companion piece to Victoria's memorial that sits at Buckingham Palace...like two bookends.

He makes me a little sad. :) 


 This is a monument on the side of the Geographic Society building--that's Shackleton. My best friend, Chrissy von Chrissersons becomes somewhat obsessive when it comes to Shackleton. ..
 another dream come true day for me. Yep, that's the British museum, as in the mechanism the British used to strip the rest of the world of some of their finest treasure. I so happily walked through those doors.  Some of my favorite pictures below.



 That's Pericles, folks! Pericles!!!


 The Elgin Marbles. I almost started to weep as I reached out and touched them. Shhh! Don't tell security.
 My favorite Venus statue.

 That' s Alexander the Great. I call him Alexie since we're close like that.


After a great dinner, we headed to the London Eye--like 2 hours later we finally go into the little cube. It's amazing. It never stops. People get off, a cleaning crew goes in and sweeps, then a security crew goes in and checks for scary things, and a whole new group of people get loaded on all while the wheel keeps turning. .. .it made me nervous. I couldn't help but imagine I would be the first person to mis-step and cause the whole thing to come to a grinding halt. 

but the view was wonderful. 

3 comments:

  1. Loving the posts and pictures! I wanna go someday. I guess I'll take Todd along with me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving the London journal!! Glad you got to go! However, really missed you at the funeral AND the wedding! Jed and Em were super bummed you weren't there! I guess there is a family reunion in the works... we'll see if that ever happens!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i think you would be about the most stellar travel companion to england...

    ReplyDelete