Search This Blog

Sunday, November 14, 2010

So, I've been to England; you think I should want to brag about it Day 1

I'm lazy. It's the truth. The hard truth, but truth nonetheless. I always thought I was hard-working, and I am (on some things), but in many other things I must flog myself into action. I can make excuses and grand rationalizations, but in the end, I'm lying to myself. I'm lazy. Case and point, this blog. Full of good intentions--no execution. I've been back from England for almost two weeks, and the most common question from friends and family, "so, when are you going to post some pictures? or tell me all about your trip" Nobody has seen anything or heard anything specific (so don't feel left out).

But, I'm breaking out of my sad ways starting today. With some pictures and commentary about my trip to England (the home I never knew I had). Oh, this trip echoed with Dickens, Johnson, Wilde, Austen, and Victoria. Very much my Victoria and Albert. It is quite a love affair between Victoria, Albert and I--all above board, of course--but a rich love story...I digress.

First, London. We arrived at 9 in the morning. Tired. very tired. After an eternity from Seattle to Amsterdam (weird airport--it felt like a Tim Burton play on Suburbia: bright and cheerful exterior, but an unescapable eery underbelly). It was bizarre. With unsmiling security guards, we were shuffled back through security to a room filled with chairs and outlets, and then 20 minutes before boarding they had everyone on the flight move from that room into the next room (with four chairs and no outlets) and stand. Why? I don't know. But we all did--all 60 of us. Our bags decided to catch a later flight and would arrive at our hotel at 6 pm that night, which surprisingly worked out very well for us, since we didn't need to carry them. Also, England travel tip #1 Get an Oyster Card. It is 3 pounds, BUT they are available to purchase at every station, and it is so much cheaper and easier to navigate the underground.


We were determined to keep our eyes open until 8.30 pm AND start our trip out right, so we piled into the tube and made our way to London Bridge station. It was crowded and everyone was in a rush, but when we came top-side, oh, the thrill of seeing the streets of England made me almost dance. There were red double-decker buses and red phone booths sprinkled throughout the streets, and unlike Professor Higgins, who sang in my head, "Hear them down in Soho square, dropping 'h's' everywhere. Speaking English anyway they like." I giggled over how beautiful their accents were.


We took a long train, two transfer, and a cab to get to the London Temple. ..and with no bags, equals no temple appropriate clothes (I felt so foolish going into the temple in leggings, boots and a sweater) and I kept telling everyone who would listen our lost bags plight. You know, do the preemptive answer the question before it has been asked routine. There was no need, because the people were lovely. We did some initiatories--decided against a session, since we were already so tired. Going to the temple was a blessing, since we ran into the Stake Relief Society President in the Adelaide Stake in Australia, who had returned to England for a funeral. We shared a cab to the train station, and then she and her lovely daughter took us under their wing, taught us Travel Tip #1 (see above) and helped us find our hotel (which was close to 10 blocks away from their's). Sara and I are indebted to this wonderful sister, whom we talked about everything but our names! (my mom is horrified right now). I want to find her to thank her for her kindness. We rolled into our hotel at 6.30 and went to eat. At 8.30 we fell asleep, exhausted, and awoke at 10.30 am the next morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment