Search This Blog

Sunday, December 13, 2009

I thought I would grow out of it. . .

Twice a year, my marmie would venture downstairs to clean the girls' room. We're not talking about vaccuming or dusting, changing of sheets or washing windows. No, we're talking about a DEEP cleaning. A cleaning that required going through EVERYTHING and throwing out, reorganizing and rearranging. I'll admit it; I was the messy one. My practically perfect sister's stuff would always have stayed organized from intensive session to the next. So, when I say clean the girls' room, I really mean to say clean Whitney's portion of the room. At times, these sessions would last one, even two days, depending on my marm's patience and indulgence. Every time, when everything had been put away, she would say the same thing, "Doesn't that feel so nice to put everything in its place?" And while it did feel good, what really felt good was that our room had been rearranged. I loved the thrill of sleeping in my room at a different angle, looking at my room in a different way. I mean, the possibilities were endless. Literally. My parents can attest; I am sure they even consulted some professionals, because as I got a little older, rearranging my room became an obsession, almost a compulsion. Almost monthly, I would get up early on a Saturday morning and start shuffling. Believe me, it was always a disaster and both my parents would make intermittent stops to check on the progress. When I finally moved away from home, I realized that roommates didn't like the shuffle quite as much, so for almost eight years, my shuffling impulse was quietly replaced with the harsh reality of waking every day to the same room. Even when I had my own place for eight months, I wasn't seized with that almost overwhelming impulse to move things around. Well, my friends, never say never because it happened. Saturday morning at 7.30, I awoke abruptly. I had a layout in my head and I couldn't get it out of my mind. So, at 7.30 I started moving things, trying to be quiet, but you can't just move things without cleaning them (my marms would be quite proud), so--yes--I'll admit it; I even ran the vacuum in intensive bursts from 8 am to 9.30 am. My neighbors adding that to their growing list of complaints of late night piano playing, stereo blasting while the shower roars. I'll get a call soon I'm sure from the managers. I'm quite pleased with the results.

The larger picture is the after, the smaller the before:


















































While I might have mixed up the room, one thing stayed constant: my books Lots and lots of books. . .


















Some things will never change.

--W


4 comments:

  1. I LOVE rearranging my room! It is something in my adorable but very small house, that I miss very much. My mom would also do the deep clean in the girl's room periodically and Emily was also the clean sister. I actually remember Jed taking pictures of the 'messy side' and the 'clean side.' What a punk. I glad you're on to share your musings now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! Angie (Aaron's wife) here. I'm sitting here straining my eyes to read the spines on all your lovely books. All I got was "Great Britain." :) Love your stacks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, A! Those stacks are probably pretty representative or my weird eclectic reading interest. I would recommend anything in that stack. :) For instance:
    The story of one hundred symphonic favorites
    The Iliad
    The Brontes collection of poetry
    Ivanhoe
    Flannery O'Connor The Complete Stories
    When Crickets Cry
    All the President's men
    The Te of Piglet
    The Suspicions of Mr. Whicher: A Shocking Murder and the Undoing of a Great Victorian Detective
    Silver on the Tree
    Return to the Hundred Acre Woods
    Sin in the Second City: Madams, Ministers, Playboys and the battle for America's Soul
    Under a Flaming Sky: The Great Hinckley Firestorm on 1894
    Passionate Minds: Women REwriting the World
    Peter and the Sword of Mercy
    Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close
    Star Trek: Imzadi II (an unabashed Trekkie fan :)
    Lonely Planet: Great Britain (for my trip in March!)
    Something Wicked This Way Comes
    Eoin Colfer's The Wish List
    Wodehouse's Summer Moonshine and Damsel in Distress
    Poe's Tales of Mystery and Imagination
    Lady Pamela
    The man who never way
    Hard Times: an oral history of the great depression
    His Shadowed Heart
    The Edwardian Lady
    Prince of Pleasure: The Prince of Wales and the Regency
    Fearless Girls, Wise Women and Beloved Sisters: Heroines in Folktales
    This is Ragtime
    The Return of Martin Guerre
    Evernight (trashy vampire book)
    Let us Build Us a City: Eleven Lost Towns
    Silent in the Grave
    The Watcher in the Woods
    Fire in the Lake: The Vietnamese and the Americans in Vietnam

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahh...thank you. That's a great list! Now I want to go re-read SILVER ON THE TREE...

    ReplyDelete